Saturday, February 18, 2012

THRIVE Goulash Soup!

This is a great, simple soup that my Mom told me about. She made it for a church function and it took her no time at all to make and it fed a lot of people.  This is so versatile! It is just a basic soup but there are tons of different variations you could do. 
So here are the THRIVE foods that I used:


FD Green Beans
FD Chopped Onions
FD Celery 
FD Broccoli
FD Potato cubes
Beef TVP ( textured vegetable protein)



I put about a 1/4 cup of each vegetable and 1/2 cup of the Beef TVP into a pot of chicken or beef broth.  I put about 4-5 cups of beef broth in as well as a tsp of Thyme and salt and pepper. You need to make sure that you put in extra liquid because the vegetables will soak up some of the liquid.  I left the potatoes out until the very end because they tend to go a little bit mushy if they simmer too long, so add in for the last 15 min.  
Bring the soup to a boil and then simmer for at least 15min.   The vegetables need at least that amount of time to rehydrate and become soft.  
I let it simmer for about 35 min so all the flavours could come together.


YUM!!!
It tastes just as good as it looks!
It's amazing how these vegetables look and taste like they are fresh.
I had hardly any mess to clean up, no chopping, and we were still getting the same nutrients that we would be getting from fresh veggies. 
My 2 year old gobbled this up and my husband, who is not a soup lover, even enjoyed it.  
These vegetables can last up to 25 years on your shelf unopened and 1-2 years opened. 
This is what I can make out of my food storage!
What about you??

Enjoy!







                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment